While small businesses might not have millions of dollars to create fancy advertisements to display all over the world, they do have free resources available to put them in front of new customers all over the world. Social media allows you to connect with current and future clients from anywhere and with a minimal budget. But, just signing up for the accounts and posting something once or twice a month isn’t going to build your social following or online business presence.
In my adventures of business ownership and networking, I’ve met so many people who are completely unaware of the impact a social media presence can be on a business! So, because they aren’t sure of what to do or how to get started, they sign up with a big company or take their friend’s daughter up on her offer to help them out. You agree on a monthly fee and then let them get started. But, how are you making sure that your money is being used wisely?
Here are my top 16 essential questions and conversations you must have with the company or person running your social media accounts and managing your business online. If you don’t understand social media, the person you are paying should and they should be able to quickly and thoroughly answer the following questions for you:
- Is our branding, company message and vision being communicated online?
- What is our strategy to communicate our brand and voice online?
- How are we reaching new customers and fans through our social media channels?
- What is our growth on adding new likes and followers on our social media channels?
- What techniques or strategies are working to drive traffic to our website?
- How are our potential customers finding us online?
- Are you responding to and continuing conversations with guests who leave comments or try to reach us online?
- What and where are all of our logins & passwords?
- Can you show me and explain how effective our email communications are with our current and potential customers?
- Are we using targeted Facebook ads? If no, why not?
- Is the content we share relevant, helpful, informational and educational to our visitors?
- How are you addressing and handling negative feedback online?
- Are we getting our current and potential customers to share our information online?
- Who are our Facebook follower demographics?
- Are you using the 80/20 rule for content – 80% content and 20% sales?
- How can we grow and build our email list at a faster rate?
These questions will provide a comprehensive look at how things are going via social media for your business. Sometimes a good hard look at what is happening will initiate necessary changes to become more successful and profitable!
Do you have any tips you can comment below to help others who are getting started?